Thursday, December 16, 2010

About my guitar playing

It was last September when I joined the guitar class. All I could play after that was, ‘Happy Birthday’ & 2-3 other tunes from some famous movies. I stopped attending after two months & practiced at home. It wasn’t until last month that I managed to play the guitar with more ease than before. Initially, I practiced those 2-3 stupid tunes, but later, as I got better at playing it, I started to pluck strings randomly & then it all started.
            I played it my way. I let my mind command my fingers. Now, my ears analyze what I play & mentally suggest a change if required. Though I’m still a newbie; I’ve improved my guitar-playing a lot.
            It gradually became my passion, to take the guitar, play it according to my mood & compose a new tune. Depending on my mood, I play differently & form different kind of riffs. I started to write those small melodies in a notebook. I was happy that I could play the guitar in a way that reflects the state of my mind. Those riffs which I worked out sound pretty neat & fine, but I never felt proud.
            But, one day, I felt like playing my favourite bands' songs on my guitar. Google helped me get tabs of songs. Then I felt proud of the fact that I could play almost same. That was lame. I drove away from my own creativity. After a while, I decided to be innovative again & to work out my own tunes.
            Today, I’m sitting with my guitar beside me & there's a piece of paper in front of me, which has notation of a freshly composed riff. When I played it over & over again, I got excited & happy. This riff is the best one I’ve ever created. When I compared my work with songs by all those artists out there I felt confident, because, what I’ve created, sounds just great and if I keep practicing this way, I will get better. Now I feel better & can enjoy the originality as well. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment